The First Long Island Craft Beer Week
I would be lying if I said I wasn’t giddy about this event. To watch—and partake of—the craft brew movement on Long Island has been amazing. It’s come a long way in a short time. I hope Long Islanders come out to support our local breweries and restaurants and to learn more about craft beer.
Here is part of the official press release:
— BAY SHORE, NY. (April 8, 2011) — The first ever Long Island Craft Beer Week will launch next month, May 13–22, 2011 with special events planned for both Nassau and Suffolk counties. The 10-day, island-wide event is a collaborative venture created to raise awareness of the thriving local craft beer culture and promote patronage at local establishments.
The Brewers Association, the trade association for U.S. brewing companies, reports that in 2010 the U.S. craft brewing industry saw volume increase 11 percent and retail sales dollars increase 12 percent over 2009. “Craft brewers’ stories resonate with Americans who are choosing small, independent companies making delicious beers in more than 100 different styles,” said Paul Gatza, director, Brewers Association.
Uniting local breweries, restaurants, retailers, bars, and business partners with beer enthusiasts, the first Long Island Craft Beer Week will be a celebration of beer, the making of beer, and the enjoyment of beer. Long Island’s first Craft Beer Week will be filled with entertaining and educational beer events—including:
- Breakfast with the Brewers at Carlyle on the Green (Farmingdale). Sponsored by ExecuLeaders and www.LongIslandBeerEvents.com
- The Golden Tap Awards Gala honoring Long Island’s beer makers, innovators and pioneers held at the Boulton Center for the Performing Arts (Bay Shore).
- SimulCask, the simultaneous tapping of beer casks at locations across Long Island, among them T.J. Finley’s (Bay Shore), Bobbique (Patchogue), Great South Bay Brewery (Bay Shore), The Good Life (Massapequa Park), The Cortland (Bay Shore).
- Long Island Craft Beer & Casino Cruise Night aboard the Opus Casino Cruise Lines (Freeport). Sponsored by The Good Life.
- Cask Festival which will feature 10 casks from local and regional breweries. Sponsored by T.J. Finley’s (Bay Shore).
- Super Neat Peanut Butter and Jelly Time at The Cortland: Adventurous beer enthusiasts can try a homebrew of PB&J beer paired with Uncrustables® from Smucker’s® while raising funds for Little Shelter Animal Rescue.
We’re looking forward to it! Find out more at LongIslandCraftBeerWeek.com.