QnA with DnU: Rich Stabile
Rich Stabile founded [**Long Island Spirits**] in 2006 with a wonderfully logical idea: Take Long Island’s well known potatoes and make potato vodka. Their signature vodka, *LiV,* has garnered an excellent 92 points from *Tasting Panel* magazine and a Best in Class award from the *New York Spirit Awards.* In addition to *LiV,* **Long Island Spirits** produces *Sorbetta,* fruit-infused vodkas, and uses it’s distillery to help other Long Island wineries turn their grapes into brandies.
Rich was kind enough to answer a few questions.
1. The wineries and now the craft beer movement has taken strong hold on Long Island. What convinced you to open a distillery here?
>*(Rich):* Long Island has a 350 year history with growing world class iconic potatoes, so it seemed only natural that Long Island would have its own potato Vodka.
2. You’re literally surrounded by wineries. How have they reacted to the opening of the distillery?
>We are very complimentary to the wineries as we are bit unique. The wineries are very supportive as we are as well with their business.
3. What’s your favorite cocktail featuring *LiV*?
Long Island Strawberry Lemonade
- 1½ oz. oz *LiV* Vodka
- 3 oz. organic lemonade
- ½ oz. Strawberry *Sorbetta*
Assemble all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice cubes. Shake well and pour into a martini glass. Garnish with a strawberry or lemon wedge.
- Does **Long Island Spirits** have any new products that you can tell us about?
We are experimenting with a number of extensions and new spirits, but nothing we can announce now.
- Cocktail olive, maraschino cherry, fancy umbrella or lemon twist?
*LiV* rocks, with a twist…
Thank you, Rich, for the answers, for the great recipe, and for bringing the art of distilling to Long Island. *LiV* vodka is available at many fine liquor stores in the [New York Metropolitan area and beyond]. Our favorite bar, **The Cortland** in Bay Shore, New York, is going to be offering *LiV* and *Sorbetta* exclusively for all it’s vodka preparations.